Sunday, May 1, 2011

Magnet + Laptop = Laptop Demise

Last November Cooper spilled water on my laptop rendering the left shift key and left control key inoperable. I am adept at using the right shift key like no other. I automatically use the right shift for all things capital etc. He didn't mean to. He bumped the glass of water. It wasn't anywhere near Andy's only good use for Dr. Pepper: Pour a complete can on the keyboard because it is within the warranty and you want something different. Don't hate me all you Pepper lovers. The stuff makes me feel like gagging.

Cooper also didn't mean to do this one. He was putting the magnet on everything else and wanted to see if it would stick to the computer as well. He didn't mean to simply because he is a boy and he is 3. 'Nuff said. I have to replace the hard drive in order to use it again. I am almost positive that all that good info is lost forever. Visualize Smalls from The Sandlot. Most dramatic. So I am begrudgingly using Matt's slow, clunky, Windows based computer which is newer than mine by a year. I love you honey but do not love this computer.

So...I have wanted to update so often but have forgone because I didn't want to write before I knew what to say. I still don't have anything concrete but here goes anyway. I quit my job working as a House Supervisor at good ol' MMH. I really did enjoy the job and especially everyone I worked with.

Here's a cap of a typical night. Come on shift and get report from previous Sup. It usually included complaints from staff, scheduled surgeries, who's on, what's in the E.R. and an update on how different my job is this week. That's how we Supers roll. Then I would head up to the LDRP area to check on staff since I already went through the ER and Med/Surg. Upstairs I could find a plethora of variety. Amanda doing a shout out as I walk onto mom/baby. Holly telling me that she couldn't do _____ (you fill in the blank) because she had cancer. I'm sorry I was the last one to find out. Doh! Bonnie giving me the scoop on her wonderful children. Heidi cutting/pasting pics. You go Heidi girl!

Then I would head into the NICU to chat/check needs with Beth (bless her hilairious snorty laugh), talk with Sarah about the future (wink/wink) and share great stories with Jonna. Fantastic bunch of girls.

Onto Labor and Delivery where you could find controlled (or not) chaos. Melissa would respond to my question of "how's things?" with a "Freakin' fantastic." Love her. Then I could find Ginger slipping in some sly/clever comment, or Sabin giving a welcoming "Yo!"  Chelsea, thanks for the words of wisdom. Robin, your quick wit and strength is unmatched.

Ah, Med/Surg. What a unique group of people. It's like family. You get the whole spectrum. From Ray's vast conversations to Linda's very matter-of-fact approach. What am I saying? Linda is a self proclaimed I-don't-care-girl but we all know she is a softie. The Med/surg folk are top notch. More than fireworks were watched out of room 2004. Who can forget a certain nurse that searched Smith Park with a wheelchair and ended up at Maverick to locate her AWOL patient? Room 2004 housed the spectators to watch that charade. I may have been handing out graham crackers and 240 ml cartons of milk for that show.

And Justin, our respiratory therapist. How many codes have I stood next to you on? When I would walk through those ER doors and catch a glimpse of you, I knew I had better brush up on my ACLS knowing we were in for some excitement.

And speaking of the ER... Tiffany, not only are you a smarty pants but you are so funny. Often when I would see Tiffany during Matt's year of unemployment she would ask, "Have you figured out who you have to sleep with in order to get him a job?" Pam and Karen=Solid workers and friends. Kirsten, it was great getting to know you.

To my fellow house supervisors, thank you for covering during family crisis and helping me when my children would have been without both parents for Christmas. What a great group of people who taught me so much.
I learned from all my friends in all their capacities. I know this doesn't cover everyone but these are the ones I worked with the most.

So, yes, I did quit my job. There is a great story behind it that I won't tell tonight because I got carried away with reminiscing. I will tell the story though but you've had enough for now. I've capped out on your ability to stay interested so I will update on the job situation at a later time. Hopefully soon I can update on that. Tonight I bid you farewell since it is late and I am a full-time SAHM who needs to get some shut eye. Peace out.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Wow, CoDele! I'm not sure if I should say, "I'm sorry," or "Congratulations." I can't wait to hear the story though.