Saturday, November 12, 2011

Where were you?

Where were you at 11:11 on 11/11/11? I was parked outside the grade school waiting to pick up Olivia. My hair was still wet since I just got out of the shower after Zumba and I was debating whether to finish designing our Christmas cards or just get the kids ready to go to the Veteran's Day memorial presentation at the park. I must say I was more concerned with making my yellow "Olivia Lurker" pick up sign visible than I was about the significance of a once in a lifetime moment. Boy, that speaks volumes or maybe it doesn't.

All the children from the grade school walked to the park to be at the presentation. During the Pledge of Allegiance I teared up as those small voices became unified and resounding with the reciting of our Pledge. I wondered how many of them would still feel such resolve when they were readying themselves to defend this land. How many could be found occupying a Wall street or storming a shipping dock in Oakland. I pray that these young ones will remain loyal to this country and be honorable upstanding, law-abiding citizen. Let patriotism burn in their fibrous sinew.

It brought me back to about 3 years ago when one of my students had a World War II veteran for a patient. We went in to give some meds and I ended up chatting with him about his history. He became emotional as he recalled a life-changing event. He was a suffering prisoner of war on one of the Pacific islands held by the Japanese. It was grueling and life was uncertain. The commanding Japanese officer was actually not as feared among the Americans because he'd been schooled in America and seemed to have some decency when it came to the POW's. That commander came to the Americans one day and declared that he'd received orders that tomorrow they were to be killed. So today they needed to do whatever repenting or pondering that needed to be done. He allowed them that knowledge of their impending death. This patient teared up as he spoke. He said it was horrible. He felt so sad and alone. He was facing his imminent death and would have no family or loved ones at his side. Then a miracle happened that next day. It was announced that 2 atomic bombs had been dropped in Hiroshima and Japan was surrendering. Instead of all of those POW's being killed the Japanese military leadership was now facing the same fate. Now this patient was openly crying as he expressed gratitude for being spared. He'd lived a full life even though he was now facing a terminal illness. He was ok with whatever would happen at this point though because of the life he'd been allowed to live.

What an honor to have these people in our lives. I know my dad seldom speaks of his time in the Air Force. He spent time in Morocco where he contracted malaria and served in communications. My brother Shane also served in the Air Force as a Captain and practicing dentist. He did 3 months in Bahrain and has some great stories from that. He talked about how it felt to wear that uniform and be a part of the armed forces. And of course Matt was Air Force and would have died there if they would have let him. However, Heavenly Father sees the bigger picture and steered us a different direction. Matt is now traveling and using what he learned in the USAF to operate in a different but similar capacity. It almost feels like he is still active duty simply because of what he does and where he is but this is way better. Matt grew up with one plan ---Military. His family has a strong military background and he is named after his uncle who was a pilot. It's in his blood. I'm so glad it is. As was said yesterday--It's not the reporter who gives you freedom of speech it's the soldier. Thank you loyal patriots!

No comments: