Thanksgiving was great! Cory, Sarah, Andy, Consuelo and all the accompanying little people stayed with us for a few days. We spent time with LariAnn and her family and Preston Lees family. Although I had to work for part of the holiday, it was loads of fun. Then on the Saturday after Thanksgiving I got a phone call at 0130 when I was at work telling me that my younger brother, Nephi, passed away. I will include his obituary here:
Nephi Aaron Smith, 33, born
July 13, 1977 passed away
while at home in Florida on
Sunday November 28, 2010.
He was the son of Caroll and
Jackie Smith, of Billings, MT.
He is survived by his parents,
5 sons; Bjorn, Zaire, Jonah,
Dougherty, Indigo- of
Louisiana. He was also
survived by 11 brothers and
sisters; Ron, Shane, Kim,
LariAnn, Michael, Jared,
CoDele, Thad, Cory, Andy, &
Savannah. He was a talented
artist and poet, and loved
animals, especially his
constant companion, Hope, his
blue heeler. His body has been
donated, per his wishes, to
educational research.
Memorial services will be held
Saturday December 4, 2010 at
the LDS Ave. D chapel on the
corner of 6th & Ave. D at
11am. Family will be receiving
friends in the Relief Society
room at 10am.
We still don't know what happened. An autopsy was performed but was inconclusive to show actual cause of death. The toxicology report will be back within a couple of months.
As many of you know, life was never easy with Nephi. As my mom said, we always knew it would end this way but you are still never prepared for that phone call. There was an outpouring of support and each member of our family was able to gather. More than anything, I cried for my parents who gave so much to help him. However, I have hope in the Atonement. I believe that in the end, each of us will be happy and at peace with the glory we are given. We are loved by our Heavenly Father in a way that is not yet understood. I don't know how that love happens so purely but I know it happens. As us kids sang "Families can be Together Forever" at the service I felt the truth of that and remembered the first time I really felt the truth of this simple primary song. That song brought new meaning to me as sang it before a temple trip in August... right before Matt left.
Bittersweet is the word I used to describe the feelings I had when Matt got to come home for the memorial service. It was so good to see him, even under the circumstances. What a great gift. However, I spent nearly everyday crying at some point, knowing I would be taking him back to the airport after a week's time. I tried hard to keep it together but gave up. Silly to try anyway. Ignorance was our buffer on August 1st but this time we knew full well what was in store. Nonetheless, it was a joyful reunion.
When Matt returned to the UAE, it was back to business. Little did we know that was all about to change. After a fiasco with documents, driver's licenses and Visas, Matt found himself in his director's office. It went a little something like this, "The program is going in a different direction and we are not going to be renewing contracts." WTF?! That's code for, "What the Flip?" We are facing unemployment again. Except this time we could get hit HUGE with taxes. We are tapping our faith and hope reserves to believe that it won't be as bad this time and that he'll find another contract before his is up on February 1st.
Since the day he told me about his contract, I have not been able to sleep and I've had a headache. It feels like I wake up with my brains being squished into my sinus cavities. It's pretty awesome. Even Ambien is not helping much. I can get maybe 6 hours with Ambien but then I lie awake. We just told the kids yesterday. We wanted to wait until after Christmas. No reason to ruin the day. The good thing is that once you have one contract under the belt it makes you way more marketable for more. Now that Christmas is over, hopefully the companies that he has submitted resumes to will get on the ball with pursuing applicants.
We have had our goods and bads this year but if I really think about it, it has been mostly good. How can we deny what a blessing it was for Matt to go to the UAE in the first place? It buoyed us up in a way that cannot be imagined until you are there. Lots of people have lamented upon finding out where Matt is and for how long. Here has been my response, "Unemployment is harder." Fortunately we feel like we are in a better position this time. Our kids have been very grateful that Matt has had a job. That gratitude has outweighed the loss.
Thank you to each of you who has expressed condolences, asked about Matt, inquired how we are doing and have given support in so many ways. Speaking of that, we had 2 sets of elves bringing goodies to our home in the days preceding Christmas. Many gifts and treats were brought. We felt loved. It was overwhelming and very much appreciated. We waited each night with anticipation for the two knocks. One family brought a piece of a nativity each night with goodies. Both families brought the most yummy desserts and thoughtful poems to accompany their gifts. We loved it! We are loved!
July 13, 1977 passed away
while at home in Florida on
Sunday November 28, 2010.
He was the son of Caroll and
Jackie Smith, of Billings, MT.
He is survived by his parents,
5 sons; Bjorn, Zaire, Jonah,
Dougherty, Indigo- of
Louisiana. He was also
survived by 11 brothers and
sisters; Ron, Shane, Kim,
LariAnn, Michael, Jared,
CoDele, Thad, Cory, Andy, &
Savannah. He was a talented
artist and poet, and loved
animals, especially his
constant companion, Hope, his
blue heeler. His body has been
donated, per his wishes, to
educational research.
Memorial services will be held
Saturday December 4, 2010 at
the LDS Ave. D chapel on the
corner of 6th & Ave. D at
11am. Family will be receiving
friends in the Relief Society
room at 10am.
We still don't know what happened. An autopsy was performed but was inconclusive to show actual cause of death. The toxicology report will be back within a couple of months.
As many of you know, life was never easy with Nephi. As my mom said, we always knew it would end this way but you are still never prepared for that phone call. There was an outpouring of support and each member of our family was able to gather. More than anything, I cried for my parents who gave so much to help him. However, I have hope in the Atonement. I believe that in the end, each of us will be happy and at peace with the glory we are given. We are loved by our Heavenly Father in a way that is not yet understood. I don't know how that love happens so purely but I know it happens. As us kids sang "Families can be Together Forever" at the service I felt the truth of that and remembered the first time I really felt the truth of this simple primary song. That song brought new meaning to me as sang it before a temple trip in August... right before Matt left.
| Family pic in front of Thad's House |
When Matt returned to the UAE, it was back to business. Little did we know that was all about to change. After a fiasco with documents, driver's licenses and Visas, Matt found himself in his director's office. It went a little something like this, "The program is going in a different direction and we are not going to be renewing contracts." WTF?! That's code for, "What the Flip?" We are facing unemployment again. Except this time we could get hit HUGE with taxes. We are tapping our faith and hope reserves to believe that it won't be as bad this time and that he'll find another contract before his is up on February 1st.
Since the day he told me about his contract, I have not been able to sleep and I've had a headache. It feels like I wake up with my brains being squished into my sinus cavities. It's pretty awesome. Even Ambien is not helping much. I can get maybe 6 hours with Ambien but then I lie awake. We just told the kids yesterday. We wanted to wait until after Christmas. No reason to ruin the day. The good thing is that once you have one contract under the belt it makes you way more marketable for more. Now that Christmas is over, hopefully the companies that he has submitted resumes to will get on the ball with pursuing applicants.
We have had our goods and bads this year but if I really think about it, it has been mostly good. How can we deny what a blessing it was for Matt to go to the UAE in the first place? It buoyed us up in a way that cannot be imagined until you are there. Lots of people have lamented upon finding out where Matt is and for how long. Here has been my response, "Unemployment is harder." Fortunately we feel like we are in a better position this time. Our kids have been very grateful that Matt has had a job. That gratitude has outweighed the loss.
| Walking to the inevitable goodbye spot at The Salt Lake Airport |
| They love their dad |
| One last picture |
| A daughter already missing her daddy |
| Watching Daddy Leave |
| Heartbreaking isn't it? |
| Matt leaning down to give us one last wave before going down the terminal |
1 comment:
Like I said to you on Christmas, having this job on his resume is going to open up so many opportunities for him and you guys. I know that it's so hard for you having him away, but you're strong and you will get through this. Remember that this is for "but a moment" and YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS! Your Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ love you and they will never leave your side. Things will work out for you the way they're supposed to. Love you!
Post a Comment