What I thought I knew to be my reality was turned upside-down last Sunday with a 0830 phone call from Sarah, my sister in law. She says, "CoDele, your mom is acting funny. She's not making sense and she said something was going on with her hands." Oh my goodness, she is having a stroke. After some quick phone calls, dashing and driving, my mother made it to the hospital. Being a state away feels helpless. Being a heart away though feels hopeless. What I mean by that is that some pretty weird stuff happened that has caused some rifts.
It is a tragedy what has happened but I have hope. I hope that our links will remain as titanium. I choose to focus on those that want to have close ties and stay strong in the gospel. I will not sacrifice my family for pride's sake which results in selfish, angry and isolating behavior. I will choose to stand firm in my gospel beliefs. I will hold my little ones and not so little ones close. I will never make them question my loyalty to them and the gospel. I will not favor one over another. I will apologize to them whether I am right or wrong if it means it will maintain our relationship.
THE PERSON IS ALWAYS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROBLEM.
President Benson talked about the many faces of pride. Here is what he says:
Another face of pride is contention. Arguments, fights, unrighteous dominion, generation gaps, divorces, spouse abuse, riots, and disturbances all fall into this category of pride. In our families contention drives the Spirit of the Lord away. It also drives many of our family members away. Contention ranges from a hostile spoken word to worldwide conflicts. The scriptures tell us that “only by pride cometh contention.” (Prov. 13:10; see also Prov. 28:25.)The scriptures testify that the proud are easily offended and hold grudges. (See 1 Ne. 16:1–3.) They withhold forgiveness to keep another in their debt and to justify their injured feelings. The proud do not receive counsel or correction easily. (See Prov. 15:10; Amos 5:10.) Defensiveness is used by them to justify and rationalize their frailties and failures. (SeeMatt. 3:9; John 6:30–59).Let us choose to be humble.Pride is the great stumbling block to Zion. I repeat: Pride is the great stumbling block to Zion.
We must cleanse the inner vessel by conquering pride. (See Alma 6:2–4; Matt. 23:25–26.)
We must yield “to the enticings of the Holy Spirit,” put off the prideful “natural man,” become “a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord,” and become “as a child, submissive, meek, humble.” (Mosiah 3:19; see also Alma 13:28.)
It is my hope that some insight can be gained and that forgiveness might be had.
Through Christ we can find true joy.
2 comments:
I realize this is completely off topic of your blog post, but you are looking so gorgeous in the new picture! I absolutely love your dress too! Just wish I could see your shoes... :)
CoDele! I just found your blog through Kelli's and had to say hi! Your family looks so good! Its been awhile since I have seen you! Nate is in NP school and has been for almost 6 months.. He is loving it. Thank you for all you have done!
Jessica Bradfield
Post a Comment