Saturday, May 17, 2014

It's been a year. I signed up for Facebook and my blog got left in virtual rubble. I've used Facebook instead of the blog but today the blog needs an entry. I suppose the blog is not read any longer anyway so I can put something more private on here. 

The boys are gone at the father and son's campout. Cooper stayed home from school yesterday because of sheer exhaustion caused by sleepless itchy nights and a sprinkle of an allergy flareup. He fell asleep after his shower leaving him wearing only his compression shirt snoozing on my bed. It was after 10 before he awoke. I sent him on the campout because he would be devastated, plus he was feeling better. Matthew remarked that I was going to get the best sleep ever with everyone gone. Here it is 3:30 am and I cannot sleep.

I just woke from a dream. What can I say, I am a dreamer. I have lots of vivid, memorable dreams. Matt is a dreamer as well. These dreams have given answers to prayers, warned me and have been wake up calls. I think this one was a wake up call. It is for the journal. 

My dream involved Matt and I coming into a beautiful home that we loved. It got even better when we became recipients of a decorator's dream come true. The staff at Pottery Barn arrived to redo our main living areas. At first I was ecstatic but then felt bogged down by insignificant details. They wanted me to do x.y.z so that it would be showroom perfect. I soon became apathetic about the whole thing and couldn't care less if it was Pottery Barn designers or not. I wasn't even comfortable in my own home any longer. These feelings set the stage for the next phase of my dream.

Matt and I were in a room. We passed on to the next life but were still young. Both of us were complaining about how we were instructed to wear some shoes that were given us. After a bit of struggle and murmuring Matt reminded me, "It's not about the shoes. If they told us to wear them this way then it was for a reason." I was contemplating that while I retied my shoes as originally directed. I concluded that obedience was more important than details. 

It was until I humbled myself that I could see a little girl peeking around the corner at the end of a long corridor,  waiting for us. I didn't recognize her at first. With shoes fastened correctly I walked toward her. She began running, arms outstretched. I wondered who this person was which I would soon be reuniting. She came into full view and I began running as well. She exclaimed, "Mommy!" It was Olivia. My little girl was waiting for me. I held her and sobbed. Never before had that word sounded so sweet. A piece of me that was torn away regained it's whole self. My girl. My baby. She was beautiful, girly and glorified. Her wisdom was beyond my own. I easily saw that I was the proverbial child. Although she was a child her spirit was mature. Her love permeated my spirit. I was whole.

The sobbing awoke me. As sit here in the dark with only the glow of my computer screen, I wonder how often my stubborn pride has kept me from receiving the fulness of blessings. I may see another way but if I have been directed by Heavenly Father to do something then I must only question how I can make it happen. I have to trust that He sees the big picture with the greatest of all of life's blessings. 

I found a part of my family and was restored to full joy in this dream. How often are blessings waiting at the end of a long corridor of struggle and sorrow? How many times have I looked at someone with harsh, human eyes instead of kind, eternal eyes that see them for who they really are? When I become distracted with pettiness do I even realize what I'm missing? In my dream I didn't even remember that one of my babies would be there waiting for us. What blessings are awaiting our humility now? What am I missing out on now? What am I holding back? I don't know yet because I was beginning to think I was getting pretty good at putting it all on the table and letting God work through me. He must have hit a blockage in my heart because I have some learning to do. 

I suppose it's time for a spiritual self exam. 

No comments: