Thursday, August 2, 2012

I'm sixteen and I know it...Woo Woo








Matthew turns 16 today. Wow! Has it really been that long ago that I was pushing out this big boy and broke a plethora of capillaries around my eyes getting him into this world? This is for him. You all are invited to read but since he is in another state working with Cory and his friend Travis, I wanted to give him something on his super, super, super special day. 16 is a big deal and Matthew kind of is too. :0)

We watched the olympics that night while I labored with you. It was a beautiful August evening. Your dad was working at a security company and my mom realized I was serious about my contractions when I walked upstairs with a loaded suitcase. I was determined to have a better birth experience with you. That was mostly true until the entrathecal wore off. Hence, the raccoon eyes.

Here's what I wrote about the minutes after having you, "My heart. I loved you instantly. You were perfect and my heart felt a flood of love for you, my little boy. You were so sweet and dear. I didn't want to let you go. I bonded with you instantly."

At two years old you loved tractors, horses, legos and vehicles of all kinds. You were content to be by yourself, not a social butterfly but seemed to get bored with normal "kid stuff." You once asked me not to say harsh things to you because it hurt your "Jesus heart."

When you were a toddler here are some snippets I wrote about my wishes for you:
"Matthew I want you to always understand where you came from and that you have a purpose, a mission to fulfill on this earth. You were valiant and noble in the pre-existence and are a special and strong spirit. I want you to know that the only things that will hold you close to God are your family, the gospel and your diligence to correct principles. You must prepare yourself to be willing to covenant and obey as you are instructed to do in the temple. You will start to feel like you are more a part of God's kingdom. You are such a good man. You can be an invaluable source of strength and truth for all those who seek it. Serve a mission! Matthew you must know that the woman you choose to marry can make you into an even greater man. Make her your queen as you express your testimony and give yourself to her. I hope above all else, you will know that everything I do is to teach you so that you can fell secure in your life. I love you so much. You are my dear little boy. That will never change, it will only last forever."

And today. It's so funny how I would describe you today in acutely similar ways as I did 14 years ago. Even as I carried you in utero, I could sense who you were and what you would become. I called you my little buddy and described you as being quiet and unassuming. That is a good description of you today. You are a friend to many, are clever, smart, funny, have desires to serve, are hard working and have striking blue eyes. Isn't it funny that just a few weeks ago a stranger went out of his way to take notice of your eyes?

June 2012
Windy temple pics

Bringin' it on the battle field

Lovin the handmade ornament Dec 2011


Chillin' with the sisters

Remember how you used to wear glasses? (rt front, blue shirt, next to Kaylee)

Waiting patiently

Cute

Yellowstone

Baptism Day

Baptism Day

Watching fireworks

Breckenridge Colorado- fist pump

Spencer and Matthew

Pinewood derby


Crazy eyes at a school program

Bomber


At the C.O.P.E. course

Never one for crazy behavior. Playin' it safe 
Temple ground breaking

Shaking hands with Elder Groberg

Trying to get used to holding his very small little sister. After nearly a month of not being able to hold her it was a little unnerving for you to take her in your arms


Work party fun


Kisses for the little sister

Olivia blessing day

First day of school

Trunk or treating

Forever a music lover

You love your dad
I love you Matthew and feel blessed to be your mother. Happy Birthday!! Now go and be golden!

No comments: