Sunday, June 12, 2011

Father's Day and a Sweet 16

Help me out! Father's Day is next week and I need some ideas. What can I get or do for a man who LOVES gadgets when I have negative moula? I'm pretty handy so I could handle the challenge if I had the tools or supplies on hand. I need to get clever.

Speaking of clever celebrations, we had to be very sly for Kaylee's sweet 16 birthday. Spencer gave us a $5 gift card to Kmart (ghetto store. Growing up in MT near many Native reservations you would call me a racist if I told you some of the given names we conjured up). I also had points on my sears card to be used at the ghetto store. Ethan leant us $10 so we could get ice cream and whatever else. It actually worked out and she was pleased with what we got. Matt and I made a slide show that was about 10 min long featuring pics of her from birth to now. She had friends over for the cake/ice cream, bonfire, movies and general fun. I also made a banner that is still hanging in the living room.


For a little Sixteen Candles flashback, watch this video



For some Long Duck Dong humor watch this one



I hate to do a feature on just one of my kids cuz we've had 3 birthdays already this year but... i'm about to. Kaylee, you are one unique girl. You always brought us joy, even when you hated me when you were 9 and 10 :0) I cherish the time I had with you as a baby and thank you for letting us learn how to be parents. You have an easy sensitive side. Like today after church you asked me, "Is something wrong today? You seem like you are sad and are not really talking a whole lot?" I couldn't even answer because I was crying. You put your arm around me without any reservations. I envy your ability to give of yourself like that. It seems like our family has had lots of challenges. You have endured your parents going through a military discharge, Paramedic school, Nursing school, full-time nights, job loss, job pain, family loss, financial stress and LOTS of home remodels. You, more than anyone else, have had to step up and take on lots of responsibility. It is a big responsibility but you have managed to manage. You are beautiful inside and out, really beautiful. You are smart and willing to work. Your Uncle Andy asked me after we dropped you off for school how it felt to have a daughter in high school. I responded that it felt right. It felt natural that you would be going to high school and getting ready to graduate in a couple of years. You should be doing that. He shook his head and said, "you must not have regrets." I really don't. Why bother with that anyway? Most of all, I want you to be a kind person who is friendly and willing to serve. I want you to have a fierce and strong testimony of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I want you to seek higher learning but seek also to find a great and worthy companion who will support you in being a phenomenol mother. I want you to have joy and be satisfied enough to not want for stuff but not be satisfied with the mediocre things of the world. The great part about you is that you are all of these things and will become even more as you learn to fine tune these gifts. I love you Kaylee and hope your 16th is all you dreamed it would be! Love- your "Project Managers"

2 comments:

Deborah said...

That sounds like an awesome Sweet 16 party!

As far as the Father's Day present, I'm kind of in a similar boat. No money and zero creativity on my part. Tyler has a desk job, so I am going to frame a picture of Seth giving him a big hug and kiss so he can put it on his desk. Cheap, sentimental, and Father-ish.

Have you tried googling "cheap Father's Day projects"? You might get an idea or two.

Good luck!

Sarah and Cory Smith said...

You always make me cry. Such a nice post. Kaylee is such a beautiful, talented, and wonderful young lady. We love her.