Sunday, March 6, 2011

March 3, 2011

So remember how I posted that Matt would be home February 2nd? That was just a little trick. Ha Ha. (Cue sarcastic font. What I would give to have that feature on my computer?....) After a month of being messed with, Matt actually got home at midnight on March 3rd. I could hardly believe it was happening. In a time frame of about 2 months Matt was hired and fired 3 times. Professionalism was not a real priority for the Management team. As a result of Matt being lied to, messed with and just plain demoralized, our kids and I were ready to have him home. We all lost confidence in the ability of his company to ensure safety. For example, Matt gets updates from a company called SOS International that informs of safety alerts around the world. He got an update that Saudi Arabia was getting refugees from Yemen. Considering that Saudi Arabia borders the UAE Matt felt it important to forward the info onto the other instructors. He was brought into the office and got in trouble. He was told not to forward anymore of those emails because it was going to incite fear amongst the instructors. REALLY?! Isn't that why they are there? He was there so that he could help prepare this country for all types of threats to their country. Knowing the absolute chaos in the Middle East right now, we felt that he needed to resign. The day after his travel stipend was deposited into our account, he handed in his resignation. It's one thing for him to be in that region but I will not have him over there with an incompetent company that refuses to see the importance of environmental awareness. No, I'm not talking about driving hybrids. 


We know that right now our family is meant to do this. Matt is meant to work contracts like this and we are meant to support him at home. When considering his resignation, I knew that the right thing would be for him to get another contract. Any other options felt wrong. You know that cloudy feeling you get when something is not right? Every time he would look at applying for something at home I felt cloudy and dark. We did not get to this place without purpose. 


So as I write this Matt is standing in the doorway of his hotel room in Virginia, listening to nature sounds from the lake across the roadway. Sounds like frogs, crickets and winged creatures are serenading him as he is apart from us once again. He drove to Salt Lake yesterday then jumped on a plane to fly to Virginia last night. He arrived in Raleigh, drove through Chapel Hill then onto Virginia. He said, "Do you know how nice it is here? I could live here." Yes, I do know how beautiful it is and no, I am not going to live there at this time. We'll stick around here and visit the East Coast as we see fit. East Coast in the spring and fall... Wow! I digress. 


The next 12 days will be spent in Virginia. Matt is interviewing then being certified through the State Dept to be a weapons instructor for multiple cool firing machines. He is also going to get certified through the State Dept to be a Lead BLS instructor, and 4 other instructor positions. We are super excited about this. 5 of the guys that left TEEX will be working for this new company. Matt is one of them. He has signed his part of the agreement and after his interview they will sign theirs. 


The contracts will be for 3 months on and 1 month off. That schedule is pretty awesome compared to what he has been doing. He was denied vacation 2 times with TEEX. At the end he started growing out his beard grizzly Adams style and getting some long luxurious locks. One of his supervisors told him he needed to get his haircut and trim the beard. He replied with, "I'll cut this off when I can go on vacation. I'm thinking about not showering until then either." Pretty sassy, huh? Yeah, that's my husband. He already knew he was quitting so he was starting to care less and less. 


So Matt will be back home for about a week and a 1/2 and then we will see him off again. It's all good and we feel like this is right. I will keep updates. The reason I haven't said anything until now is because it was changing so much that it wasn't worth it to say anything. When we have the for sure I will post again. Until then... peace out.  

No comments: