| I'm singing in the leak! This is the view into Kaylee's closet |
| Here's where the water found it's way inside |
| Where the doorway meets the hallway. Yes, it got into the hallway too... and under the tile in the bathroom |
Sometimes I wonder if any scenario is more perfect than our usual. Let me create the scene: Kaylee asks last night, "Who spilled something outside my door?" Of course no one fesses up. My response is for her to get a white towel and soak up the liquid so we can define the mysterious wet stuff. She brings up a water saturated towel. In my naivety, I believe we are all done with the spilled water. However, this morning I go down to wake her up for school and step in mushy carpet just outside her door. "I thought I told you to clean this water up." She insists that she did. Uh huh.
Now, I haven't exactly been thrilled with Kaylee as of late because she has let a couple of grades fall. So, my irritation is already up there. You see, she has been grounded for slacking on her biology homework and test prep. Last night I go downstairs to threaten Spencer and Ethan because they were messing around and I find Kaylee's light on and she is talking on the phone to her NOT-boyfriend. That's our cute way of humoring her when she says Kyrel is not her boyfriend. No, he's not black... very Caucasian actually. I tell her to get off the phone and ask what she is messing with. She reveals that she has to build a cell and it is due tomorrow. Really?! Did you honestly not do your biology homework when you are grounded for that right now?!!! Really?! Grr! So this morning I ask her if she finished the project. No. So guess who is going to Walmart at 0700 to buy sculpting clay? I spent my morning helping her make a cell membrane. No, I did not use jello for the cytoplasm. After finishing that she ran downstairs to grab her shoes. She informs me that her shoes are wet and she doesn't know why. So what you're really trying to say is that you have water sitting under your carpet, soaking the pad and leaving gifts of mold spores. Awww... that's tender.
This brings me to the joy that I discovered. There has been a slow leak coming from an outside faucet that found its way into Kaylee's room, leaving mold and dampness throughout. I quickly made phone calls, had restoration companies give estimates and emptied out her room... which brings me to my other irritation.
I have to back up for this one. Yesterday during sacrament meeting, Cooper was being uncharacteristically cooperative. I thought he was just sleepy. He fell asleep sitting up then laid his head on my leg. He woke up briefly and asked me to hold him. I picked him, faced him toward me and sat back to enjoy the unusual peace. Not 2 minutes later I feel and hear his stomach gurgling and he gets that "I'm about to spew on you" look on his face. Oh, no! I jumped out of my seat and ran him out. He was able to hold it in his mouth until we got to the bathroom but let loose once I told him to throw up in the sink. You should have seen how full his cheeks were before I gave him permission to heave. Poor guy. I ended up taking him home. After being home myself for a couple of hours I started to feel cruddy. I laid down for a couple of hours to nap. During that time, my children managed to bring out every last random McDonald toy, Nerf dart and blanket that I didn't know had residence in my home. I didn't care as much last night because I planned on cleaning today. However, there were other plans afoot. Not only did I have to get all of Kaylee's stuff out of her room, but I had to pick up a million other items in order to have space in which to work. I expect a collective scream at this point. This is where I debated back and forth on whether to go pick up my kids from and school and bring them home to clean up their disaster. It would have been a scene straight from Nanny McPhee.
Needless to say it has been a long day of removing sheet rock, tearing out carpet/padding/tack strips and sucking up water and gunk. I also washed everything with a bleach solution. I am undecided on whether to replace the carpet. Andy M feels like it can be cleaned up but other people said no. I called Ben Sessions to get his opinion on the matter and he ended up calling a crew of guys to come do a majority of the work. I am so tired but am looking forward to another day in paradise tomorrow. Catchin' my sarcasm?
What else to say? How 'bout a Matt update. Here's the latest this week. He gets no vacation until August of next year 2011 which is awesome. He has been given loads of work to do in order to revamp and chop up the existing program. He had 50 extra guys in his class yesterday which was sprung on him that morning. Not only did he not know he was teaching that class but he didn't know there would be 50 extra students. His buddy got sick with some gastrointestinal stuff and went to the infirmary. They told him it was caused by too much air conditioning. I got a good chuckle and one liner from that one. I won't be able to meet Matt in Greece because he has no time off and (small detail) we have no moula for it, esp after today. Texas A & M has taken $2300.00 out of his paycheck these last two months which has been awesome when I am still trying to catch up from our initial insult of getting him there and only having one paycheck for a month since I quit my job at EIRMC as soon as I found out he got hired. Anyhoo, he is still enjoying being where he is except that there are many complicated issues right now as they are trying to get another contract signed and make some changes. We are trying to stay positive but I admit that today was not my most shining moment.
It is late, very late and I have to be up early for school, etc. Enjoy the pics!
2 comments:
Thank you for clearing up the fact that Kyrel wasn't black.
Kelli- I had to throw that in there because everyone I know when told what his name is, including myself, asks if he is black. It is quite comical.
Post a Comment