I remember a time when my frailties and incompetencies were my own. However, these days I get to own them in behalf of my children who cannot claim them simply due to age and accountability. I wish I could post some pics to show of what I am speaking. Funny story about that. I used to have a nice camera that I got for a smokin' deal at Walmart on their Black Friday sale. But Olivia decided she wanted to see what happens when cameras snorkel. I can tell you that the result has not been desirable. Lesson learned... not a chance.
When Shane's daughter Emily was young Linda used to call her a bag lady. This did not refer to her preference for filthy clothes and dumpster diving but her affinity for bags, all types of bags. I chuckled, thinking how sweet and cute she was. I have come to understand the meaning of bag lady via my Olivia. Olivia has taken her stuff and anything else she feels fit to force compliance upon and has stuffed it in a bag. If it fits in a Ziploc that is the first bag. Then she will fill a small bag. The small bag goes in a medium sized bag which fits in a medium and a half sized bag. These will be transferred to a large bag, then a backpack and finally into her overnight roller suitcase that accompanies her on her sleepovers at Aunt LariAnn's house. She can stuff like no other and she adds extra items to each appropriately sized bag. These "bags" are actually purses in most cases or actual bags that I have made for her. One night I took one of her purses that I made for her to work with me. In the morning, after returning from earning her keep, she threw the evil eye at me and reminded me that that bag belongs to her. She is a pack rat.
Olivia also engages in frequent clothing changes throughout the day. Yesterday it was 4 times. As if I have time to keep up with my main amount of laundry, she is killing me with hers alone. LariAnn tells me Olivia's changes are my sentence for my incessant clothes changing I did as a child. I do not deny my fickle wardrobe changes but can a child just pick one thing to be crazy about?
A couple of days ago Olivia picked a t-shirt that had a v-neck. 10 minutes later she is in the house telling me she has to change because Brinley, her neighbor friend, does not like to see her "nakey." There was very little skin to be seen on her chest but apparently Brinley felt like it was enough nakedness or "nakey" to warrant a change. For the love of Pete!
Sometimes I wonder if the readers of this blog think I have only one child. I have six beautiful children who are fantastic and fabulous in all ways. However, Miss Olivia has brought an intensity to our home that provides great entertainment, heaving sighs and laughter. She is a female Spencer. I even caught her last week doing a Spencer trick. When Spencer was her age he took my kitchen scissors and cut off all the flower heads in my front beds. Last week she was out there doing the same thing but added a trim to my pine bushes as well. Again, "For the love of Pete!"
Here is an update on the rest of the clan: Kaylee and Matthew are working this week with Cory and Sarah at a fair in Evanston, Wy. I love that they can do this. It is a great teaching tool for work ethic. Cory and Sarah are work dogs and are a great example to them. Thanks guys for trusting my kids to get the job done. I miss having them here, especially with Matt gone.
Sunday Matthew moves up to the Teachers Quorum. Jared is going to ordain him. It worked out nicely that Jared and Felecia can stay long enough after their trip home from Utah to do this for Matthew.
Spencer has really stepped it up this week by keeping the little ones while I run errands or attend meetings. There may have been spagetti on the floor after one outing but he did clean it up. He'll be getting his Webelos award and Arrow of Light this month at Pack night.
Ethan is busy with, well mostly inside games and Legos. Let's be honest about this. I have to remind him to go play outside. He is very much his own person and I think feels most comfortable just chillin' by himself in the house. He does love to play with friends but has to be reminded to do so. He had a great time with our neighbors at the kids' movie and The Craze yesterday.
Cooper spent lots of time in his room yesterday. He was put in time-out for calling people buttheads and hitting them with painful objects. Unfortunately when you are the youngest of 6, you try the biggest shock factor behaviors to get attention. Cooper actually corrects pretty easily and will give hugs afterward and say, "I love you." He is so tan this summer he really looks hispanic. His dark skin is beautiful with his deep blue eyes. He's a beauty.
I just talked to Kaylee and Matthew on the phone. They called just before business started at the fair. Kaylee told me they were sorry for not keeping their promise. You see, I specifically made Matthew promise me he would shower and brush his teeth daily since last year he did not shower for 3 days. Stop vomiting and keep reading. They said the bathroom was closed last night so they couldn't shower. Poor Cory and Sarah. I feel like I need a good scrub down after one day at the fair as a participant. I imagine you feel even nastier after working it.
So Matt should officially be arriving in Abu Dhabi later this evening. I don't know for sure when I'll talk to him next as they were just running fiber optic lines into the base last week. We are so excited for him. He spent a day going over the main do's/don'ts for Muslims so he doesn't get imprisoned. One thing we are wondering what to do with is a custom they have where if you don't drink their offering of coffee and tea you are considered an enemy. Obviously, for religious reasons we don't drink either of those. A friend of ours suggested he speak with the local members to see how they handle it. Yes, we did find that they have a Ward in Abu Dhabi. Pretty cool. It's not even a branch but a real ward with a Bishop Woodhouse who presides. Lots to learn and acclimate to culturally. We'll keep everyone updated as we hear.
Well, off to another day of laundry, cleaning and errands. Isn't it great?!
1 comment:
LOL...I can't quit laughing!!! That's a great post. I LOVE the new family picture. Very appropriate (sp?) that you are in the middle, cuz I'm sure everyone knows who is at the ♥ of this family!!!
Post a Comment